Digital Smile Design or “DSD” is a conceptual cosmetic dental treatment planning tool which allows patients to see a visualisation of their new smile which they can “try on” digitally, providing patients a preview of what they will look like post treatment.
Do I need Digital Smile Design?
Digital Smile Design is based on video and photographic facial aesthetic analysis of the patient to analyse the relationship of the teeth, gums, lips and face. This allows the dentist to identify the patient’s problems and provides insights about possible solutions. It also facilitates feedback between patient and dentist that allows our team to give you your perfect smile.
How does Digital Smile Design work?
Digital Smile Design uses six steps to get you to your desired smile:
1. Treatment begins with the dentist capturing digital photographs of your teeth and smile as you are now.
2. A video is then taken of you smiling and talking to show how your smile and speech affects the appearance of your teeth. Seeing yourself from this new angle will help you to decide on the right results.
3. Smile design analysis is then carried out with the end product in mind. Different solutions from dentistry will be combined to determine the best cosmetic journey to get your desired smile, and ceramists, dental technicians and specialists will all advise on the treatments that can get you there.
4. You will then be shown how your final smile will look and mockups will be made to show you the final outcome. You can then make any final tweaks to elements such as tooth length or colour and shape.
5. The final design is then completed and agreed and costs and duration are calculated to ensure you are happy to proceed. You will then be provided with all of the relevant information you need to know about the pending treatments.
6. After treatment, you can enjoy predictable results and will be able to enjoy the smile that you chose in the planning stage.
Digital Smile Design FAQ’s
Digital Smile Design allows us to help you design a smile as individual as you are, instead of a ‘one size fits all’ design. Taking the individual into account allows us to plan the best result for you.
Digital Smile Design allows for many treatments to be done to achieve your result, including veneers, crowns, invisalign, implants and of course tooth whitening. The route to the final result varies from person to person and will be discussed between you and your dentist.
Absolutely. Because the design is based around your individual facial proportions, the result is as individual and as natural as you are. It is not an ‘out of the box’ Hollywood smile, but rather the smile that allows you to become the best version of yourself.
If you have any other questions that are not covered here, please feel free to contact our friendly team who will be more than happy to help you.
Digital Smile Design